Monday, August 11, 2008

BANDANA REPUBLIC/ANTHOLOGY


A Great New Book on works by Very creative Gang members and people'' in the life''.Louis reyes Rivera Poet He's been on the scene for a min. He has many awards and his work is ..well amazing would be to light a word.

Poet Louis Reyes Rivera is a professor of African American, Puerto Rican and Caribbean Literature and History; his latest collection, Scattered Scripture, won the 1997 Poetry Award from the Latin American Writers' Institute.
He edited the New Anthology Bandanna Republic. He is Jazz and poetry and a man of wisdom. and I am Honored to have him respect my work.I fist discovered his work with Pedro Petri. The Famous ''Puerto Rican Obituary ''came barreling at me at lightning speed in the Gym of NYC Community College one overcast evening.When I heard it I was mesmerized..I realized that People I knew had an identity, had a VOICE..I had a Voice .and they,,we, were IMPORTANT.We went Totally invisible. our Black Brown Tan skin had stories of Laughter,Sadness and pain and that we could share it!! and most of all people would understand it...Our People. Mattered.I knew then in that moment that I was to write to Focus and to really find a medium to communicate.

Mr .Riveras work comes from that school and much more. in the Bandana Republic it is the Pinnacle of that type of writing /story telling from Gang member.ex offenders,and street people.It is a great read,and a collectors item and a one of a kind. Their on to something here and It will continue...It is Long overdue.And again it is an Honor to be affiliated with the Bandanna Republic Crew in artistic Projects.


No comments: